Freedom or Copyright? - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Mon Feb 11 11:59:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 10:47 +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> writes:
> > So on what basis is $100k expensive for a film?
>
> In the case of a bunch of low-budget art students wanting to make a film in
> Brussels, EUR70,000 kills the project.

That doesn't really answer my question.

Sure, clearing rights can be expensive. It can also be avoidable,
though.

What isn't avoidable is the basic cost of creating a film. It takes a
lot of people, it takes time and equipment, and it costs money.

Copyright had no effect that I can see on the "Elephant Dreams" short,
and I would estimate its cost at $150k. There is nothing in there that I
could see would suddenly become fundamentally cheaper if copyright was
for whatever reason non-existent.

Cheers,

Alex.