Freedom or Copyright? - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sun Feb 10 21:18:28 UTC 2008

Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> writes:

> I think artists should be free to earn money for their work pretty
> much however they please; I don't think it should be limited to
> patronage/begging.

I agree. The means they use should not, however, restrict the freedom
of a legitimate recipient of a cultural work to do whatever they like
with it. Any sort of monopoly that extends to the actions of
recipients (e.g. copyright) breaks this.

In other words, the author's freedom to attempt to earn a living ends
at the limits deliniated by the freedoms of others to engage in
transactions that don't involve them.

--
 \      "When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand |
  `\        box. I was an only child... eventually."  -- Steven Wright |