Freedom or Copyright? - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sun Feb 10 11:09:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 00:15 +0100, Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:
> Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> wrote:
> > It's elitist because you're saying art produced and not given away is
> > worth less than art given away.
>
> I don't understand what you mean. Search Wikipedia for culture industry
> to get an idea of what it means. That's all I have to say.

I'm aware of the theory of cultural industry, I just think it completely
misses the point.

It's fine to evaluate art on an intellectual level, and much art has
important things to say about the world we live in. However, that's not
the only thing which makes art worthwhile, and "culture industry" theory
neglects many of the roles of popular art: for example, a film could be
hugely entertaining - like "Pirates of the Carribean" - but because it's
mass-produced and has nothing intellectually to say, it's worthless art?
That's complete nonsense.

> But generally I think we talk at cross purposes with different
> intentions, world views or what ever you call it in mind.
> This discussion leads (under the current conditions) to nothing else
> than confusion and misunderstandings.
> This is the typical result of such a discussion in the end there are
> just beliefs and opinions.

I agree, there are just beliefs and opinions, but I think you're
proposing a much more absolutist position than I am. I think artists
should be free to earn money for their work pretty much however they
please; I don't think it should be limited to patronage/begging.

Cheers,

Alex.