Freedom or Copyright? - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Sat Feb 9 01:53:26 UTC 2008

On 08-Feb-2008, Carsten Agger wrote:
> If copyright is abolished, then there's no more GPL. What about
> that?

That's fine. The GPL uses the term "copyleft" deliberately: its goal
is to *give back* to recipients of works what copyright takes away.

In other words, if copyright truly did not exist, and everyone had the
same freedoms (and more) in every work, not just those that have such
freedoms explicitly granted by the GPL, then there would no longer
need to be a GPL.

That would be a good day.

--
 \            "I was in the grocery store. I saw a sign that said 'pet |
  `\      supplies'. So I did. Then I went outside and saw a sign that |