Freedom or Copyright? - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Fri Feb 8 19:04:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 19:47 +0100, Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:
> But fighting against the culture industry - an industry that is
> producing "culture" like a factory produces commodities - is a
> difficult challenge.

That honestly sounds like a very elitist view of "culture". I don't see
why that "culture industry" needs to be fought against, some of the
finest works have come out of commercial ventures.

I agree with RMS's opinions on DRM and functional works. I'm not sure
that the gift economy system he's espousing is necessarily a winning
formula - if we work on the premise that people should be economically
rewarded for their efforts, I don't see any compelling reason to say
that one system of remuneration is better than another for cultural
works. They seem like completely different arguments to me.

Cheers,

Alex.