FDL requirements for original author

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:41:16 UTC 2008

On 07/02/2008, David Picón Álvarez <eleuteri at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> I'm not convinced of that. LaTeX compilation loses a very significant amount
> of semantic information. Even if PDF can be parsed and well understood in
> its own terms, editting characters on a canvas is very different from, say,
> changing \parskip

Is it nevertheless the case, though, that what is released under GFDL
is what is released under GFDL, and if you get a PDF or a bitmap or
whatever then, as a reuser, you're not somehow obligated to release a
more transparent version than you got from the copyright owner? (Given
the author can't reasonably sue you for copyright violation for
reusing precisely what they gave you rather than what they didn't.)
This is quite an important question for Wikimedia content!

- d.