(meta) Request for tag in subject line

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Fri Feb 1 13:01:53 UTC 2008

On 01-Feb-2008, David Gerard wrote:
> On 01/02/2008, Noah Slater <nslater at bytesexual.org> wrote:
> > You could switch to a different mail client, such as mutt, which
> > provides the functionality of highlighting emails in colour. I
> > believe Thunderbird and Outlook offer the same.
>
> I moved *from* Mutt *to* Gmail.

That's unfortunate, because (if I understand rightly) gmail offers
very little control over how messages are processed.

If I'm wrong, and gmail *does* offer a lot of control, then please use
that control to control your mail the way you're wanting to do.

> (I love replies to feature requests that say "You don't actually
> want to do what you want to do, you want to do what *I* do.")

Notice that it is you asking for *everyone's* mail from this list to
be affected, just to suit the way *you* want it to appear.

That's far better solved by presentation in *your* mail client,
because doing so doesn't impose anything on anyone else. The messages
already contain exactly the right information to do so: a field that
uniquely identifies the list from which the message came.

--
 \      "God forbid that any book should be banned. The practice is as |
  `\               indefensible as infanticide."  -- Dame Rebecca West |