What is free sftware really? Was: RE: Article: "Fixing linux" - opinions?

Matt Lee mattl at fsf.org
Sat Dec 13 22:10:22 UTC 2008

Sam Liddicott wrote:

> How can somene only use free software if they don't know which software is free?

Use a distribution which makes efforts to only include free software.

http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions with
explanations and reasoning here:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

I am using gNewSense as well as Fedora, Debian and until-recently
Ubuntu, on my personal machines.

Only free software is not there in every distro yet, but I am quietly
confident that at least there people in the Fedora and Debian projects
working to getting their distros on that list too.