What is free sftware really? Was: RE: Article: "Fixing linux" - opinions?

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Sat Dec 13 20:01:40 UTC 2008

(reply to nobody in particular)

This discussion is why open source wins over free software.

Free software is in reality too complicated.

The definition is simple-ish but not at all useful; because...

Even it's devotees can't agree on whether or not common "free" software is really free, and (from time to time) seem to suggest that they are each a bunch of unprincipled compromisers ruining the whole campaign.

If we can't tell (or agree) what free software means practically then we should not be surprised at the mix of software masquerading as "free" - whatever that means, and practically speaking this is /obviously/ not clear to ANYONE though we each might think it is clear to ourself.

Sam