Article: "Fixing linux" - opinions?

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sat Dec 13 00:05:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 02:55:03PM +0100, P.B. wrote:
> KwangErn Liew wrote:
> > Linux is just a kernel. Everything on top of it are meshed into an OS
> > though having different ways to really allow different solutions
> > (flavours) for individuals and organisations.
> >
> We know this.
> However, for most people out there the whole OS and everything that's
> not Mac or Windows is "Linux".   :)

That's because neither Microsoft nor Apple make the mistake of calling
they're OS's the kernel name.

> Not sure, but the reason why I've mentioned this article here is, that
> it proves certain "impressions" people get from using GNU/Linux.

It seems a rip-off of the paid-to-troll «Linux Hater».

> It's sad but true that people often don't see what's better, but only
> complain about what's cumbersome for them (which is often due to lack of
> knowhow). But there *is* a reason why people often get this impression
> and I think it's important to be aware of this.

Lack of know-how? Hell, those don't even have a know or a how! :)

It's either people who won't be able to solve a problem on their Windows
h4x0r3d b0x3ns or those who never installed plain out of the box Windows
on their shiny new laptop and compare the support of a fine-tunned
tailored Windows version for that hardware with the support a generic
operating system provides, or those who troll.

In this regard, GNU/Linux distributions support more hardware
out-of-the-box than any other operating system (and this was
independently verified by Microsoft, as Greg KH so frequently says, even
though he just call's it "Linux".

Rui

--
Hail Eris!
Today is Sweetmorn, the 54th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?