Article: "Fixing linux" - opinions?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 16:52:13 UTC 2008

2008/12/12 KwangErn Liew <ke.liew at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 2:55 PM, P.B. <pb at fsfe.org> wrote:

>> We know this.
>> However, for most people out there the whole OS and everything that's
>> not Mac or Windows is "Linux".   :)

> Unfortunate yes, and I even have a hard time explaining Linux and its
> distributions. Not even mentioning about what WM and DE are and a
> whole lot of other things.

I frequently just suggest "Ubuntu" - it'll do as a gateway drug to the
wonderful world of free software after all ;-)

Perhaps comparisons to the many versions of Windows, all of which are different?

Firefox is an excellent example of free software that also happens to
be utterly superior. "This is to Windows what Firefox is to IE."
Perhaps that's promising a bit much ;-)

- d.