Article: "Fixing linux" - opinions?

P.B. pb at fsfe.org
Fri Dec 12 13:55:03 UTC 2008

KwangErn Liew wrote:
> Linux is just a kernel. Everything on top of it are meshed into an OS
> though having different ways to really allow different solutions
> (flavours) for individuals and organisations.

We know this.
However, for most people out there the whole OS and everything that's
not Mac or Windows is "Linux".   :)

> I find that the article is not really providing good grounds on what's
> _really_ wrong with Linux. It sounds like the article is saying,
> "different methods (flavours) is wrong." Is he implying that the Linux
> kernel and related OS should be a one-size-fits-all?

Not sure, but the reason why I've mentioned this article here is, that
it proves certain "impressions" people get from using GNU/Linux.

It's sad but true that people often don't see what's better, but only
complain about what's cumbersome for them (which is often due to lack of
knowhow). But there *is* a reason why people often get this impression
and I think it's important to be aware of this.

Pb