Article: "Fixing linux" - opinions?

Stefano Maffulli smaffulli at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 08:12:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 8:14 PM, simo <simo.sorce at xsec.it> wrote:
> For those that ask sincerely you can simply reply that freedom comes
> with a cost, and sometimes this cost is a bit of inconsistency.

Or better yet, point them to the inconsistencies of non-free systems;
at that point freedom is not a cost, it's a premium.

All this discussion seems to imply that the GNU system is different
than Mac OS X or Windows, meaning that those are the kingdom of
'everything works' while on GNU things get stuck more often.  My
experience is different: all of them have serious issues.  Last year I
got tired of hearing these complaints against GNU and decided to test
OS X deeply.  My findings are described in 3 posts on my blog
(http://maffulli.net/2008/10/02/mac-os-x-vs-gnu-my-personal-summary-13/
and following *-23 *-33).  In short, OS X has many inconsistencies and
real annoyances (not counting the fact it's DRM filled), like missing
drivers or A/V codecs (whose setup is so much easier in most GNU/Linux
distros.)

It's better to ignore the FUD and fire up the keyboards to promote the
good features and the *consistencies* of the GNU systems.

/stef