UK: Flash is officially part of "full Internet"

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Wed Aug 27 17:18:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 06:04:25PM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
> > Indeed. However, this issue is not in fact about Apple, it's about the
> > ASA. FSFE may (or may not) be in a position to advocate against the
> > decision that Flash is required to asdvertise "full internet" in the
> > UK.
> >

> In terms of "fair descriptions of goods", surely Flash is a necessity?
>
> If we set aside the issue of free or non-free software for a moment, the
> number of sites which require Flash to work is sufficiently large that I
> would consider a system which couldn't access them to offer
> less-than-full access.
>
> This is just about being honest with consumers, surely?

If it's about being honest with consumers, than they should just say:
"won't play flash content since it's a proprietary format we don't
support"

I seldom notice that I don't have flash support installed anyway, thanks
to wonderful tools like NoScript, and most of the times I notice, it's
some moronic joke site someplace I don't even care to remember.

Rui

--
You are what you see.
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 20th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?