UK: Flash is officially part of "full Internet"

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 16:46:46 UTC 2008

2008/8/27 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org>:

> "The proprietary argument" was displayed by Apple? The hypocrits...

Well, yes!

> Or maybe that's what they wanted, to have proprietary elements to be
> considered "essential part of the internet".

No, they argued the opposite.

(Though their problem is that Java and Flash contain virtual machines,
which might be competition for the app store. I expect they were very
annoyed they couldn't do Safari without JavaScript.)

> If you place foxes defending then henhouse, expect a sudden chicken
> count drop.

Indeed. However, this issue is not in fact about Apple, it's about the
ASA. FSFE may (or may not) be in a position to advocate against the
decision that Flash is required to asdvertise "full internet" in the
UK.

- d.