Open Parliament petition

Sebastian Günther samson at guenther-roetgen.de
Fri Apr 18 10:55:02 UTC 2008

* Carsten Agger (agger at c.dk) [18.04.08 12:19]:

> So, how can I sign or recommend the petition without fundamentally
> recognizing the Parliament, when actually I don't?  This might actually
> limit the petition's potential appeal in many countries, at least in
> "Euro-sceptical" quarters (which in Denmark tend to be the left, and
> some nationalists - the pattern might be different in other countries).

By the normative power of the factual: there *is* a parliament, which
*decides* on such matters, and such will be equal to any national law
within the EU.

With the attitude "I don't like them, so I won't talk to them" you
cannot change anything. The Parliament *has* power over you, and if you
refuse to use *your* influence on the parliament, then don't come crying
if they did something you do not like: you did not tell them.

BTW: a petition is nothing *from* the parliament, it is a demand
from the people *to* the parliament to act in a certain way or at least
debate over that topic.

> br
> Carsten

I don't like the EU neither, but the problem is not what the parliament
decides(we could influence that by voting), the problem is what it is
*not* allowed to decide.

Sebastian

--
 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. "      Karl Marx

 SEB at STI@N GÜNTHER         mailto:samson at guenther-roetgen.de