Discussion Digest, Vol 57, Issue 17

Máté Gergely gerymate at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 20:53:43 UTC 2007

> From: MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop>
> I already posted three squirrelmail-using web mail providers!
>
> There's http://www.ippimail.com/ (ad-supported) http://altern.org/
> (AKA 3615 INTERNET, supported by sales of extra services) and
> http://www.phonecoop.coop/ (paid accounts, I'm agent AG471).  I'm
> pretty sure all three use well-known free software on the backend too.
>
> Hope this reaches you this time!

Hi!

I wonder why it matters if the backend is free software or not. It's a
service, and the free software backed can be tweaked any way the service
owner wants to. This also applies to the squirellmail frontend: the hoster
tweaks it. The end-user don't.

I'm also sure that there are large portions of Gmail that are open source.
Probably all the servers run Apache. Google is well known for using a lot of
Python: free software. They provide a service backed by free software.

The amount of the tweaking is the only different.

And probably the amount of support of free software.

Regards:
Gery Mate