Free software and priorities?

Alexander Braun fsf at alexanderbraun.de
Tue Sep 25 14:20:06 UTC 2007

Am Dienstag, den 25.09.2007, 14:17 +0200 schrieb Carsten Agger:
> > Do you think many of ZDNet's readers see themselves as part of some
> > movement -- anti-poverty, or anti-war, or for some other form of social
> > change? Hint: This interview is made by ZNET -- the website of
> > Z Communications: The Spirit of Resistance Lives.

well that's true anyway

> but the truth is, that the people inclined to use free software are
> mainly technically inclined people - probably because less technically
> inclined people are easily discouraged, and some things (like
> installing a printer in some versions of GNU/Linux) seem unreasonably
> difficult to some people; so I try to argue, not that they necessarily
> should go through a technical challenge they couldn't always manage
> themselves without support, but that yes, it does make a difference

well - surely there is a majority of technicians using GNU/Linux or any
derivate.
But I think lot's of people only are frightened by lot's of people
always emphasizing, that Linux is so complicated.

This changes a little at the moment.

But the fact is, that not linux is so complicated, but computers are.
Imho most people will work with a preinstalled system and don't have the
knowledge, time or motivation to change very much despite the background
picture. And that is ok this way, because they work on other tasks.
People can't have expertise on every area.

People who master Windows surely will master Gnu/Linux. People who don't
master GNU/Linux won't master Windows without help. They have to use
support from others - independent from the software they use.

gpg-key-id     : 13933ADD
gpg-fingerprint: 3948 E70D BCBA 5758 1ED1 8C00 9096 FAB8
(http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x13933ADD)
The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of
the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so
that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters
of a fraction of a dot.