Links about today's MS-EC deal

Hannes Hauswedell hannes at fsfe.org
Tue Oct 23 00:41:11 UTC 2007

Hi everyone:
First of all, how can the "deal" include a patent grant (or patent license) if
there are no such things as software patents in the EU?
I never understood this whole globalized patent thing anyway...

Lets say I write a piece of software (here in Germany) that implements
something that is patented under US-Jurisdiction.
Everyone worlwide can download this software from my homepage and the GPL
tells them that there are no patents (or that I grant everyone rights to do
whatever) - which is completely right from my point of view, BUT still
someone in the US holds a patent on something done with my software.
Now where is the flaw?
Does the GPL legally prevent me from releasing the code at all? (that would be
me violating the law in my home country)
Or am I not allowed to distribute this piece of software internationally?
(that would be me violating American law by releasing software on a German
web-site)
Or are US-Citizins not allowed to download the software? (that would be
Americans not able to exercise the rights they are granted by the GPL)

so confusing...

Anyway, more ontopic:
The Groklaw-article says that Technologies that are patented (in the US) may
not be implemented in GPL-Code because the GPL prohibits these "patent
deals".
If this is the case, how can this decision be acceptable?

Will FSFE appeal the courts' decision?

Greetings
Hannes