Upgrading fsfe.org -- your feedback

Matthew Blissett matthew at fsfe.org
Fri Oct 12 10:21:29 UTC 2007

On Friday 12 October 2007 01:51:08 Ben Finney wrote:
> On 11-Oct-2007, allergic-to-spam at karlsen.me.uk wrote:
> > > 3. Are there other tools you would like to have?
> >
> > Users should have the choice between forums and the mailing list.
> > Whilst I have used mailing lists when I absolutely needed to in the
> > past (and usenet), I find them obnoxious and very unpleasant to use.
>
> You give a lot of detail in your message exploring why you find
> mailing lists unwelcoming, and I thank you for it.
>
> My main observation is that pretty much all the complaints you have
> are to do with *user interface*: entirely valid, but IMO not something
> the FSFE should spend much of its scarce resources on.

Especially since it's already been done!  Have a look at
<http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.org.fsf.europe.discussion> -- it provides an NNTP
interface to the mailing list, RSS feeds and two web interfaces: one with
frames and threads, another with a flat blog-like interface.

Personally, I use the mailing list, but I'm subscribe to the Gmane NNTP
interface for many more lists that I only check infrequently.  A forum would
hardly ever be checked, it's too much effort.

--
Matt Blissett