Ballmer's newest statements re: Red Hat and patents

Carsten Agger agger at c.dk
Wed Oct 10 10:50:14 UTC 2007

Do any of you see something new - as in, some action actually
threatened, or signs of a "stepping up" - in Steve Ballmer's most
recent statements?

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2200717/microsoft-sharpens-aims-patent

To me it seems that by pointing a finger directly a Red Hat the effect
of scaring business away from FOSS becomes more specific - and, in a
way, more pointed that previously. Now it's not so much "there are
some patents but we're not telling which" but rather "there are some
patents and we're not telling which, but people using those products
are going to have to pay up."

But is there any real harm done by it - except for the FUD? Or is the
main harm done by such statements perhaps to Microsoft itself?

best regards,
Carsten

--
http://www.modspil.dk