Nokia responds to iPhone by Promoting 'Open'

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Mon Oct 8 11:29:35 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 10:59 +0100, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> I don't know if they could even sell a phone if the GSM and GPS parts aren't
> the official closed ones, so here's to hoping to one of two things:
> 	1) GPS can be free'd
> 	2) they can attach it externally and just read/write commands
> 	   as in the GSM modem

I don't think there's a problem with the GPS - iirc, the "law" is that
it can only work below certain altitudes and speeds, so it would never
work if you were flying, but I think that's actually encoded into the
chips themselves in most cases rather than being a software limitation.

The GPS limitation would be a military requirement rather than a
civilian one - which is where the radio limitations come into play with
wifi / GSM / etc. - so I would imagine a software limit wouldn't be good
enough for them :)

> Still, a hell of a lot better than any other options at the moment! :)

Yeah, I think they've done an amazing job.

Cheers,

Alex.