Nokia responds to iPhone by Promoting 'Open'

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sun Oct 7 09:41:01 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 10:18:35PM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
> Well, the Neo has proprietary software "on it" if you count the internal
> modem. I'm not sure how interesting a list that would be, particularly
> if you count firmware - the number of devices would basically be zero.
>
> There is always some aspect of a device which is proprietary.

As far as I could understand from the Neo's information, it's all Free
Software except some components put in ROM (well, maybe it's a REPROM)
like the GSM and GPS components, allowing the system to operate without
BLOBs.

This isn't much different from a computer BIOS, and while it's a goal
to be able to replace them, they are still very immature and unless
you are even more extremely careful, you won't even be able to buy a
motherboard that can have it's BIOS replaced by something like OpenBIOS.

I know I don't have any such device yet, sadly.

However, after the huge disappointment that the N770 and N800 Nokia
models are, the Neo is quite a breath of fresh air!

Rui

--
Or not.
Today is Setting Orange, the 61st day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?