Free Hardware Database

Guido Arnold guido at gnu.org
Thu Oct 4 21:06:07 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 07:49:06PM +0200, Torsten Werner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/3/07, Guido Arnold <guido at gnu.org> wrote:
> > I haven't checked it, but if they have a FreeBIOS compatible
> > motherboard in their collection, this might be the first 100% freed PC
> > on the market I have ever seen!
>
> no, because it still ships nonfree firmware in its onboard network
> card and even the CPU comes with nonfree microcode. With your
> definition of 'free' it will never be possible to build a free
> computer.

Well, I am not too concerned about nonfree microcode in some chips for
the time being. Without any deeper knowledge, I asume that this kind
of code can not take control over a system, right?

As I said, I just would like to know (and help others to find
out) where to buy hardware that can be used with a GNU/Linux system.

the FSF hardware database tells me which devices are supported, and
the search engine of my choice might tell me where to get them. But I
would like to support those vendors who adopt their assortment to my
needs. Those, who already did the research for me and found out what
kind of hardware can be used. Those who consider me, a Free Software
user, as a paying customer.

Greetings,

Guido