Nokia responds to iPhone by Promoting 'Open'

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Oct 2 21:18:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 23:03 +0200, Guido Arnold wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 11:55:39AM +0200, arc wrote:
> > Openmoko group:
> >
> > http://www.openmoko.org/
>
> It's October now. Does anybody know when they will start selling them
> to the masses?

Early next year hopefully; the hardware (Neo) is likely to be ready
before the software (OpenMoko) from the looks of it, and you'll be able
to buy a final-ish version of the phone before the software is "mass
market" ready I think - maybe even late this year.

> What I would like to see, eventually, is a database of vendors who
> sell "free"d hardware like openmoko or laptops without any proprietary
> software on them.

Well, the Neo has proprietary software "on it" if you count the internal
modem. I'm not sure how interesting a list that would be, particularly
if you count firmware - the number of devices would basically be zero.

There is always some aspect of a device which is proprietary.

Cheers,

Alex.