Research and free software

Isabel Drost mainec at isabel-drost.de
Mon Nov 26 20:41:31 UTC 2007

Hello,

in the past few weeks I came across quite some publications on the topic of
research and open source. To me it looks like, researchers are becoming more
and more aware of the fact that research results should be reproducible with
free software alone.

One interesting article on the use of non free software in mathematical
publications:

http://www.ams.org/notices/200710/tx071001279p.pdf

A related issue was raised in the Journal of Machine Learning Research:

http://www.jmlr.org/papers/volume8/sonnenburg07a/sonnenburg07a.pdf

Are you aware of any other efforts - maybe in different research areas -
comparable to the above? I still hope, I just know only about very few such
projects.

Isabel

--
BOFH excuse #433:error: one bad user found in front of screen
  |\      _,,,---,,_       Web:   <http://www.isabel-drost.de>
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xmpp://MaineC.@spaceboyz.net>