GNOME Foundation statement on ECMA OOXML

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Mon Nov 26 12:29:06 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 12:15 +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at fsfe.org> writes:
> > The GNOME Foundation have now published a statement about MS OOXML:
> > http://www.gnome.org/press/releases/ecma-tc45-statement.html
>
> Discussion of this can be found on LWN.net:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/259765/

It is quite sad that a number of people want GNOME to shoot itself in
the foot over the standardisation issues.

I think GNOME's attempt to ensure that any resulting standard is
implementable by free software is laudable; to put all our eggs in the
"OXML doesn't get ISO" basket is a. risky and b. ignores that OXML is
the default Office file format now :/

It seems to me that the people usually advocating that the community
completely ignore OXML are the people who aren't using .doc files
anyway.

Cheers,

Alex.