GPL License with clause for Web use?

Michael Kesper mkallas at schokokeks.org
Fri Nov 23 11:59:07 UTC 2007

Hi,

Puuh this is already long, but I think there are some good points here:

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 04:41:52PM +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> Of course there will be different expectations on how this will be
> handled. Just because the word "users" (GPL1 days) is also applied to
> web users does not itself mean the Stallman WOULD have automatically
> wanted to include them in the protections of the GPL. He may have wanted
> to but it would perhaps have been based on activities and rights, not
> merely because the word matched.

Although this is speculative (we would have to ask RMS ;) ) I think this
makes some point.

> My personal view is that if in GPL1 days, Stallman looked ahead, web
> service users would NOT have been considered, just as the source to NNTP
> or Gopher servers need not be made available to those who connect to
> them. (Further evidence is that AGPL took so long).
>
> However, with thin clients the nature of software provision has changed
> and so philosophically it becomes important that web users SHOULD be
> included, and are.
>
> I see this as a change in interpretation of core values even if the same
> WORDS can be used to describe those values.
>
> And I see the AGPL/GPL3 combination as undesirable. I prefer the GPL3+
> AGPL linking solution I proposed as it does not taint or force-upgrade
> any GPL3 enhancements.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.

Best wishes
Michael
--
Join the fellowship of FSFE and protect your freedom! | http://www.fsfe.org