GNOME to rely on Mono?

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Fri Nov 23 10:50:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 10:36 +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Tonnerre has blogged that the GNOME project has decided to rely on Mono:
> http://fsfe.org/en/fellows/tonnerre/stdout/gnome_goes_mono_and_jumps_into_the_patent_trap

Based on a 2004 story by OSNews?! Come on.

Mono is usable in GNOME, and GNOME comes with Mono bindings. You can use
GNOME without any Mono whatsoever.

I know blogging doesn't require research, but, y'know...

> When the only person telling us to not worry about Microsoft's patents is a
> Novell employee, I worry.  Does anyone know if the danger has really been
> avoided or if there is some published explanation/criticism of this?

Red Hat previously were worried about mono, now they ship it by default.
Might be worth asking them.

Cheers,

Alex.