GPL License with clause for Web use?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Nov 22 13:59:40 UTC 2007

Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at fsfe.org> wrote:
> MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> writes:
> > "Copylefted software is free software whose distribution terms do not
> > let redistributors add any additional restrictions when they
> > redistribute or modify the software" but GPLv3 does let, through AGPLv3.
> > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#CopyleftedSoftware
>
> This looks like a mistake in categories.html.  I'll mail FSF about this.

Rather, it's a mistake in GPLv3 *iff* it should be a strong copyleft.

FSF changing its basic guidance to create retrospective continuity is
the wrong way to fix this, just like editing the GNU website after a
GNU luminary makes false claims in interviews is the wrong way to fix
those.  Instead, try apologising and issuing corrections...

Or maybe GPLv3 was never meant to be a strong copyleft.  iDunno.