Questions / Concepts GPL. Was: Re: GPL License with clause for Web use?

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Thu Nov 22 13:09:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 12:50 +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Sam Liddicott <sam at liddicott.com> writes:
> > The GPL is widely considered a share-alike license where licensors have
> > understood that the same terms will propagate throughout the distribution
> > chain.
>
> You're presenting an argument against additional requirements as being an
> argument against AGPL compatibility.
>
> Apache licence compatibility was achieved by allowing people to add the
> requirements of Apached licensed code to GPLv3 licensed code.

Are you sure about that? I don't see anywhere in the GPLv3 which says I
can attach extra restrictions in Apache licenses to GPLv3'd code. GPLv3
+ Apache doesn't have further restrictions on the GPL that I'm aware of.

I think the point is that the GPL always set a maximum level of
restriction, and although you could lessen them (e.g., LGPL), you
couldn't add to them. That has now changed: the AGPL is the maxima,
effectively, and the GPLv3 could be simply written as the AGPL plus a
grant of permission.

That's not the same as designing the basic license to be compatible with
other popular license.

Cheers,

Alex.