GPL License with clause for Web use?

simo simo.sorce at xsec.it
Wed Nov 21 15:23:24 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 14:59 +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> * simo wrote, On 21/11/07 14:54:
> > On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 14:39 +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> >
> > > I am now against GPL3 because others may promote enhancements to my
> > > work as AGPL thus deterring me from benefiting from the enhancements
> > > as I often won't always want to meet the burden of the AGPL.
> > >

> > > GPL2 served me. GPL3 opposes me. I don't mind it serving someone else,
> > > lets see how many of those it serves decide to pay subscriptions to
> > > the FSF.
> > >

> > And the trolling vs GPLv3 starts again, hurrah ...
> >
> > I was just waiting for this kind of message, I've skipped almost the
> > whole discussion, because from message 0 I knew that someone would have
> > gone up to here.
> >
> Could you explain how I am trolling?

I find it evident, the first thing I commented is false, the second too,
as a license cannot oppose anything, a license is just a tool.

> I've just gone from a genuine GPL3 supporter to a genuine GPL3
> opponent.

I am glad you will stop using my software, maybe my bandwidth too ? :-)

> (And I'm wondering how I missed the AGPL section in the GPL3 'cos I
> did follow the process).

Maybe because you should think and reason around the license and not
jump on the first bump emotionally ?

True you can combine the GPLv3 work with AGPLv3, so what? You can't
"relicense" under AGPL, you can only combine works. It means you need an
existing work under the GPLv3 and and existing one under the AGPL. In
that case you can combine the 2 and the AGPL clause can kick in, big
deal.

What scares you so much about that?
That someone can take your work *under the GPLv3* and combine it with
some AGPLv3 stuff and release a web app? Wow, and how is that going to
make *your* life miserable, or that of the *users* of that service?

You are assuming that:
a) some of your work can be combined with a web app.
b) someone is interested in using it
c) someone is interested in pissing you off by using it and release your
work combined with AGPLv3
d) someone is so bad that will not let you have anything useful back
under the GPLv3 because they simply despise someone that allowed them to
finish their work
e) anything that is useful for that web app is really something you want
back.

Now you are giving this remote possibility so much importance that it
makes you flip completely from "a genuine GPL3 supporter to a genuine
GPL3 opponent".
I am just glad I do not have to work with people like that, they may
find they can't work with me because I decided to wear a differently
colored shirt for a chance... no shades of gray in your world I guess...

Simo.