GPL License with clause for Web use?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Nov 21 15:10:14 UTC 2007

Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at ...> wrote:
> "David Gerard" <dgerard at ...> writes:
> > But if you use it on a publicly accessible website, you have to do extra
> > things.
>
> You have to do extra things because you made the software publicly
> available.
>
> Putting it on a server for others isn't a "use" by you any more than
> putting a CD of the software in somebody elses hands is.

Would it be acceptable for a free software licence to require that the
web browsers or word processors on my laptop always have a "download
source" control which always works for the user?

That would certainly stop me letting people borrow my browser for a
few minutes on the train to check their connections... "wait a mo,
you're legally required to let it burn me a source CD".

Regards,