GPL License with clause for Web use?

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Wed Nov 21 14:28:16 UTC 2007

* Alex Hudson wrote, On 21/11/07 11:27:
> On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 11:14 +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
>
>> * MJ Ray wrote, On 21/11/07 11:03:
>>
>>> Huh?  Can I take code from an non-free/AGPL'd web app and put it into
>>> a free/GPL'd web app without having to move to AGPL?  I doubt it.
>>>
>> And therefore you can't mix GPL with AGPL; because if you move to AGPL
>> you add additional requirements to the GPL'd code which is forbidden
>> by the GPL.
>>

> Actually, no - the extra restrictions of the AGPL are allowed, because
> GPLv3 gives the AGPL special treatment.
>
> The combination of the two is effectively AGPL, but you can sever the
> GPL pieces and drop the AGPL.

Yeah, I'm still not fully into GPL3 mode, I was thinking GPL 2.

Anyway, AGPL is on my list of never to use licenses, which results (as M
J Ray says) in lots of re-invented wheels.

In fact I had better NOT use GPL3 (or "or later") or folk might promote
their additions to my work to be AGPL thus preventing me from benefiting
in return from their changes (as I won't adopt AGPL).

- thus it is prudent for me now to stick to GPL2 only.

I hadn't realised that, so thanks to all for helping me realise this.

Sam