GPL License with clause for Web use?

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Wed Nov 21 13:27:28 UTC 2007

Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com> writes:
> If you run it in such a way that other people have access to it - your
> housemates, your co-workers, etc - they're entitled to source.

> If the AGPL really did have a concept of "private", those scenarios
> simply wouldn't come up, but it doesn't.

I think the answer is that it doesn't have to go in the licence because
copyright laws have limits that exclude private use from needing copyright
permission anyway.

This depends on local copyright law though, so I'm out of my depth.

> If you want to avoid that liability - e.g., you have limited bandwidth
> on your hosting account - you have to put in strict access controls
> which prevent anyone except you from accessing the software. Hopefully
> you have the skills to do that and it doesn't interfere with the running
> of the software ;)

But this is the same for the GPL.

What if I made a modified version and uploaded it to my home dir on my
remote box with the read permission is set to 7.  Oops.

IMO, there would have to be some other pretty extreme circumstances involved
for a judge to even consider hearing this case.

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan __________________ \ Support Free Software and GNU/Linux
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ _________ \     Join FSFE's Fellowship: