GPL License with clause for Web use?

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Nov 20 18:18:38 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 18:30 +0100, list at akfoerster.de wrote:
> Am Monday, dem 19. Nov 2007 schrieb MJ Ray:
> > People should cooperate voluntarily - you can adjust the
> > balance and encourage it, but forced sharing is not true cooperation,
> > because it breaks the principle of voluntary membership.
>
> So, you are against "Copyleft" licenses in general?
> The AGPL is imho just an extended Copyleft.

That's not his point as I understand it.

If the GPL were like the AGPL in that regard, it would mean that if you
allowed other people to use your software - for example, if you run an
internet cafe - you would be forced to provide the source code to those
visitors, even though you didn't give them a copy of the software.

The choice of whether or not to give someone a copy of free software was
always inherent in the GPL, the AGPL removes that choice to some extent.

Cheers,

Alex.