GPL License with clause for Web use?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Nov 19 16:39:43 UTC 2007

edA-qa mort-ora-y <eda-qa at disemia.com> wrote: [...]
> That is, any user of the said web service must also be given access to
> the source code of that web service (along with modification rights, etc...)
[...]

I think it can't be done completely in free software, sorry.  All you
can do is make it illegal not to publish some of the source, but you
need to be careful about how that's done (unlike the Affero bug) else
it won't be free software in a meaningful way.

Application Service Provider-targetted licences are a massive
distraction from the real problem - if someone evil(?) is using your
software, the version they offer for download will not be the version
they are running anyway, or they'll hide their innovations in an
external program that the ASP'd one communicates with and they won't
have to distribute, or any of the other 1001 loopholes in ASP clauses.
Really, the only way to ensure sharing is to ensure user control of
the ASP provider.

I'd concentrate on running faster and rallying help to fewer
recognisably-free banners.  It is very disappointing that FSF has been
causing license proliferation recently - don't encourage it! It's
definitely not fun for hackers!

Best wishes,