Groklaw interview's BBC about DRM'd iPlayer

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 19 12:42:24 UTC 2007

On 19-Nov-2007, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Sean Daly's interviewed the director of the BBC's division
> responsible for their DRM'd iPlayer software:
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071118205358171

Thanks for drawing my attention to this, it's highly relevant and a
good interview by Sean asking the key questinos in a way designed to
get information.

Among that information was:

    [...] all the broadcasters, public-service broadcasters in the UK,
    are able to offer their television programs for a period of time
    free over the Internet.

    And the way we've done that is by managing to assure the rights
    holders that their content will not easily be distributed beyond
    the UK where they have very important and for them, lucrative
    secondary rights windows. Now, that has required us to demonstrate
    a robust use of digital rights management. That's where we are.

This is good to see come out, because it highlights exactly why DRM is
hostile to the users. Assurance "that their content will not easily be
distributed beyond the UK"?

To the extent that assurance is true, it's exactly the kind of
user-hostile restriction that encourages users to seek more
user-friendly distribution systems — even ones that violate copyright,
because clearly current copyright restrictions are not serving them.

> I think this is interesting at the European level because the issues
> faced by the UK's BBC will surely be faced by other countries in the
> next few years.

Yes. Will every country in the EU have assurances to media hoarders
"that their content will not easily be distributed beyond" that
country?

Or will they acknowledge that their users actually *do* move
internationally, especially in Europe, and that users expect the
internet to do what it does best and move those bits around with them
seamlessly?

--
 \        "I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance |
  `\                                       any day."  -- Douglas Adams |