Anyone know about supposedly free software DRM?

Stefano Maffulli stef at zoomata.com
Fri Nov 16 10:13:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 00:38 +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org> writes:
> > Then it's not Free Software
>
> Agreed.  I think I said "supposedly free software" each time.

AFAIK the only one that works and is maintained is here:

http://www.dmpf.org/

aka Interoperable DRM (iDRM).  The software reference implementation is
called chillout.  I spent some time looking at their use case documents
on http://www.dmpf.org/open/index.html
to see if that could eventually work as a "real" free sw, but I
realized it can't happen without leaving the holes that Rui correctly
identifies.

The problem is that these guys have good connections at all levels and
have convinced many leaders in all areas that their path is 'good',
solves the ipod monopoly, empowers creatives bypassing the distributors,
and creates wealth for society.  And they are very well prepared to
sustain their arguments (and I mean very well!).  To counter their
arguments shouting a la defectivebydesign should go side by side with
developing scientific counter-arguments.

For the italian speakers, here one of the founder of the project has
started a series of blog posts to explain why DRM can be good and he
will go further saying why TPM is not necessarily bad:
http://mimmocosenza.nova100.ilsole24ore.com/2007/11/stigma-e-drm.html

There is enough to keep us busy for months to counter his arguments.

Cheers
stef