Anyone know about supposedly free software DRM?

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Nov 15 23:46:34 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 11:35:08PM +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Does anyone know how the supposedly free software DRM systems work?

Does anyone know how to make a Free Software DRM that can fullfill the
DRM function?

Step 1. study the code
Step 2. modify the code
Step 3. Enjoy your civil rights limited by laws written by idiots with
deep pockets.

> sourceforge forums says how it works.  There's lots of talk about the Java,
> RSA, etc. technologies, but nothing about how they can give someone free
> software and prevent all the users from viewing the same media with versions
> modified to disable the rights-checking step.

I'd say any Free Software DRM is snake oil, but I can be proven wrong.

> Are they distributing the software and using the EUCD/DMCA to say that it is
> illegal to distribute the software if the rights-checking system is
> disabled?

Then it's not Free Software, since you will not hanve the freedom to
modify it (hence, oxymoron of "Free Software DRM").

Rui

--
You are what you see.
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 27th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?