Pre-payware / ransomware (was: Overcoming Social Inertia)

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Thu Nov 8 21:46:03 UTC 2007

On 08-Nov-2007, Alex Hudson wrote:
> The idea, as I understand it, is that they will release a demo of
> the game and a pledge people can pay into. Once the pledge reaches a
> certain amount, and people pay up, the game is released as free
> software under the GPL.
>
> The comments from LWN posters are pretty much what I would expect:
> asking for $40,000 seems to be asking too much. Yet, that would only
> buy ~6 man-months here in the UK, if that, which is practically
> nothing for a new game. And that would be at cost, too - and you
> can't run a business without turning a profit.
>
> If they sold the game on a proprietary basis, at maybe $8 a pop,
> they'd only need ~5000 sales to break even and I doubt anyone would
> be complaining about the price. Psychologically, there is a lot
> going on there in terms of price, even before you get to "why should
> I pay for something so others can have it for free?".

Your comparison seems to point to the way out of this knot. Instead of
saying "We need a total of $40 000", why not say "We need $8 each from
at least 5 000 people; if you can pay more, that's welcome"?

If the latter *still* isn't attractive, then I don't see the point of
that particular comparison.

--
 \     "[The RIAA] have the patience to keep stomping. They're playing |
  `\      whack-a-mole with an infinite supply of tokens."  -- kennon, |