Richard Stallman's new article: Overcoming Social Inertia

Michael Kallas mkallas at schokokeks.org
Thu Nov 8 18:56:29 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 11:55:03AM +0100, Marcus Rejås wrote:
> On 11/06 13:45, Alex Hudson wrote:
> >
> > If you're trying to persuade another person of something, you have to
> > use arguments which are effective with that person. If cost is an issue
> > for them, then talking about cost will help persuade them.
>
> It's very true that you need to tailor your arguments so they fit the
> audience.
>
> > On the other hand, trying to convince them on the basis of things they
> > don't care about (like the ability to modify source, which is a common
> > one) isn't going to work: that's like trying to sell someone a car on
> > the basis that you can replace the drive train when the customer isn't a
> > mechanic.
>
> I agree with you totally. But I see using the price argument as a last
> resort. We can use our freedom arguments more than I see are done by
> tailor them to fit the audience.

I'm staring at the flyer of an event at which I'll man a booth, this
Saturday. They have five reasons for using Linux (no mentioning of GNU
in that):
- Linux saves money
- Linux is comprehensive
- Linux is easy to install
- Linux saves ressources
- Linux is secure
Below that is the flute playing GNU with "Free as in Freedom".
So, we have all the open-source-advocate points - which are explained
(shortly, this is a flyer) and the slogan "Free as in Freedom" -
unconnected, unexplained.
I think we need to show again and again hat Freedom is central and
all the other points (which may or may not be true) are other benefits
of valueing one's freedom.

Best wishes
Michael
-