Richard Stallman's new article: Overcoming Social Inertia

Steven steffo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 20:51:41 UTC 2007

On Nov 5, 2007 8:04 PM, Matthias-Christian Ott <ott at enolink.de> wrote:

> [...]
> and capitalism? This seriously psychologically ill. By Adapting this
> definition you give a greater importance to money than freedom.
> And even in other languages like German people begin adapting this
> definition.
>
> Applying this to free software means that you give a higher priority to
> technical aspects and money than freedom and mutual aid. You focus on
> a physical thing and dissociate from your fellow men. Thus all people
> become lone fighters who are only associating for the practical reason of
> creating a certain product due to the fact that they decided that this
> would be the best solution for this specific case. This is anti-social,
> alienating and corrupts our society. And I do not want to live in such
> society. In such a society people will begin to treat their fellow men
> as things.
>
> I think free software is the right way to start as long as you see it
> as free software and not as open source. Once you call it open source
> (because all people do it or you are convinced of calling it open source)
> you are lost. You are "subscribing" a belief that is promoted by people
> like Linux Torvalds. And think that nobody should do this.
>
> We should really teach everyone about the philosophical aspects of free
> software. As Stallman mentions this is the only way of making clear what
> free software is about, why it was invented and why it should be used.
>
> We should all keep in mind that GNU was not created because of technical
> reasons. It was invented to have a free operating system. And we should
> impart this to everyone.
>
> You have to convince people to fight for their freedom by showing them
> what freedom is and that it is one of the most important things in
> life. This will influence their mind and life not only with regard to
> software. This is necessary to make the world a better place.
>
> Life could be really easy and pleasant for everyone if everyone wants to.
>
> Thus I entirely share Stallman's opinion and think it is a great article.
>
> But I think some people are really hard to convince because they were
> influenced from their early life and agree with theories like social
> darwinism and unrestricted capitalism or a police state.
>
> This whole discussion seems very similar to the surveillance discussion
> in Germany.
>
> We really have to do something to stop this open source movement, because
> it they succeed the free software movement that started really promising
> will get ignored and we will be lost. In 20 years nobody will remember it.
>
> I do not know how to solve this problem, but the approach that was
> proposed by Richard Stallman to start teaching and using free software
> at school seems very effective to me and makes sense, because in school
> you should be taught to be a good member of our society (and thus to
> behave socially). By using and teaching proprietary software they teach

Open Source is based on certain aspects of some of the four freedoms. Maybe
Open Source Software could be the first step for the 'non-philosophical'
majority of humanity to accept and grow into the rather revolutionary ideas
of Free Software.

They've made the first step. We should not fear but welcome them, and show
them there is more.

Cheers,

Steven Ottenhoff