CPE exception

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Thu May 31 19:45:31 UTC 2007

This clause from the current draft comes a bit as a surprise:

| You may convey covered works to others for the sole purpose of
| having them make modifications exclusively for you, or provide you
| with facilities for running those works, provided that you comply
| with the terms of this License in conveying all material for which
| you do not hold copyright.  Those thus making or running the covered
| works for you must do so exclusively on your behalf, under your
| direction and control, on terms that prohibit them from making any
| copies of your copyrighted material outside their relationship with
| you.

I understand that this is intended to give people the freedom to run
their local modifcations non-locally, perhaps in some kind of service
provider environment.  However, I don't like how it muddies the waters
as far as Customer Premises Equipment (CPE; routers, TV set-top boxes,
etc.)  is concerned.  In the case of a P2P network, it might even
natural to think of the customer as a service provider, so I don't
think I'm overinterpreting here.  And typcially, you are under severe
contractual restrictions regarding to what you can do with your CPE.

It also makes the GPLv3 incompatible with the prevalent interpretation
of the Sleepycat license, which implements a stronger copyleft scheme
and results in a "further restriction" in the GPLv3 sense.