ATENTION: DCE is about to be the new name for DRM [Was: sad treacherous computing day]

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Fri May 11 11:46:50 UTC 2007

Qui, 2007-05-10 às 22:46 +1000, Ben Finney escreveu:
> The fight against DRM technology is going surprisingly well. The
> issues are becoming understandable and known by people I would never
> have expected to care about the issues.

So well they're (HBO) now trying to replace DRM with DCE.

IIRC, this new acronym stands for:

	Digital Consumer Enablement

But it's just DRM with another name, since we've achieved one great
thing: people now see DRM and they know it's not for their own good.

This new name is much more dangerous since it's appealing. I propose to
replace it with:

	Digital Consumer Encarceration

Or maybe some better words, but hey, this is my first thought... :)

Read more in here:
http://www.hill-kleerup.org/blog/2007/05/10/war_is_peace_freedom_is_s.html

> I don't see why we can't gain similar exposure of the threats of
> treacherous computing -- but *only* if we make our actions match our
> words, and reject it as clearly and consistently as we reject DRM.

And now there's DCE as well!

Rui

+ So let's do it...?