[Fwd: Re: sad treacherous computing day]

arc arc at fsfe.org
Thu May 10 12:46:41 UTC 2007

Ben Finney wrote:

> RMS wrote:
>>     Can TC be used to enhance security if it's used with free
>>     software?
>>
>> If you can do this without contributing to any tendency to
>> legitimize treacherous computing, then it is harmless.  But you must
>> MAKE SURE you don't contribute to such a tendency.  Don't leave it
>> to chance!
>
> The purchase of the hardware, and the legitimisation of treacherous
> computing that results, is not improved by the control you speak of.
>
> "So long as I have control of my hardware, I'm alright Jack" doesn't
> reduce the tendency to produce and propagate this stuff, just like it
> doesn't get rid of proprietary software.

The main point is:
if we use a tc device, are we contributing to legitimate the use of
those devices?
Who draws the line?

It's very difficult, once you have a tc device to speak clearly against it.
If you say: "all right, I have this tc device but I use it only with
free software" how can you be sure that people (who NEVER pay so much
attention to the words) don't get this sentence as
"tc devices are ok, my friend has one and it's harmless"?

Consider the fact that the majority of people unaware of this dangers
are Windows users, not GNU users.

And tc in combination with proprietary software... you know. :)

I think the risk is too high and the benefits too low.

IMHO.

--
arc
Personal page: http://www.chi3.org/arc