GPLv3 discussion draft 3 is out

Bjoern Schiessle schiessle at fsfe.org
Fri Mar 30 16:58:06 UTC 2007

Ciaran O'Riordan <ciaran at fsfe.org> writes:
>> Your access can only be blocked *if* you modify in a way that harms their
>> network.
>
> Mobile phones are a better example than Tivo for this.
>
> GPLv3 says that it is ok if phone manufacturers want to make the device cut
> off network access when modified versions of the software try to broadcast
> or listen to forbidden wavelengths.

thanks for explanations.

I think the crucial sentence in draft3 of GPLv3 is (section 6):

"The information must suffice to ensure that the continued functioning
of the modified object code is in no case prevented or interfered with
solely because modification has been made."

I have now read it multiple times and i think it will probably achieve the
same like this sentence (from section 1draft 2):

"...such that they can implement all the same functionality in the same
range of circumstances. (For instance, if the work is a DVD player and
can play certain DVDs, it must be possible for modified versions to play
those DVDs..."

But i think the language in draft 2 was straighter and more obvious.

Cheers,
Bjoern

--
Join the Fellowship and protect your freedom!     (http://www.fsfe.org)