GPLv3 discussion draft 3 is out

Ciaran O'Riordan ciaran at fsfe.org
Fri Mar 30 14:01:48 UTC 2007

Bjoern Schiessle <schiessle at fsfe.org> writes:
> How can both sentences be true?

I'm talking with Brett Smith about this and should be able to explain it
soon.

> Can someone explain this to me and maybe point me to the corresponding
> text in the 3th draft of GPLv3?

The corresponding sections are paragraphs 4 and 5 of section 11.

> "Network access may be denied when the modification itself materially
> and adversely affects the operation of the network or violates the rules
> and protocols for communication across the network."
>
> Does this mean that i would be able to modify the software on my video
> device but as a reaction the device could disable my access to the
> network which distributes the movies?

Your access can only be blocked *if* you modify in a way that harms their
network.  The purpose of this is to allow Tivo to block people who turn
their devices into tools for crashing Tivo's network or harming it in other
ways.  It shouldn't allow Tivo to block people simply remove the spyware or
add a "copy to my PC" button.

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan __________________ \ http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ _________ \  GPLv3 and other work supported by