GPLv3 discussion draft 3 is out

Nicola Larosa nico at tekNico.net
Thu Mar 29 11:06:06 UTC 2007

Guido Serra wrote:
> what happens if someone tells me... "i want your toolchain?"

It depends on who the "someone" is.

> can i answer... get the code, is out there, i did not changed anything
> of the binaries, the toolchain is MY work of configuring and keep
> everything togheter...

If you distribute a GPL-derived work to one of your clients, you are
obliged to give the sources to them, and only to them. No one else is
entitled to a copy of the sources, if they did not get the binaries.

Of course, your client is then free to give binaries *and* sources to
whomever they please, subject to the same requirement.

Whether changing configuration files, instead of sources, constitutes a
derived work is a murkier matter, with no general answers.

This all applies to GPL-derived work: BSD-like stuff imposes no contraints
of the sort.

Please note, IANAL, and all that.

--
Nicola Larosa - http://www.tekNico.net/

Life is mainly a trade-off between money and time.
You must pay in money or time.
You will be paid in money or time.
 -- Gary North, October 2006