3rd Fellowship Raffle to attract more Fellows

Alfred M. Szmidt ams at gnu.org
Wed Mar 14 19:37:06 UTC 2007

    ams> Can anyone sign up for the raffle? Yes.  Can anyone claim to
    ams> be a developer? Yes.  So despite your claims that this is not
    ams> `general' distribution, it is exactly that.

   So I take it that if we added some more layers of security to
   ensure that the devices will actually be used for their intended
   purpose, namely to make them run with fully Free Software, this
   would take care of the issue you are seeing?

In my opinion? No.  It would not.  The end result is the same, FSFE is
distributing non-free softawre to people, and asking them to pay to
get this non-free software.

   What if we asked people to send in some kind of application instead
   of distributing them by random? What if we introduced some kind of
   obligation to report back on the progress made in freeing it?

While this makes things it a bit better, it still does not make it
right.  What would happen if nobody does replace the non-free software
on these devices? Does the person(s) send it back to the FSFE?  Do
they keep it? Do they get a refund?  This opens up alot more problem
than it solves, and probobly alot more work on FSFE's side that could
be spent doing something more useful.